Thursday, September 18, 2008

Spanish House is Back

Dear Community,

Here is the long-awaited Spanish House entry to the lively experiment that is the Language House Blog. After giving much thought to what I would talk about, how to plan it, and how to deliver it, I came up with the idea of just writing whatever came out of my mind after drinking 3 cans of lemon-lime soda. So… This first publication is going to be about my impression of the New Spanish House.

If you were involved with Language House last year, you know of the reputation that the Spanish House carried: cool, sexy, uninhibited, and spontaneous. Like a good kiss. So, many of you out there must be wondering what the new makeup of the Spanish House has made of reputation. After all, the Native Speaker is the same, Cecilia is still our faculty fellow, the building is (mostly) intact, and only the residents have changed.

Here are my thoughts so far:

1. We have too many nice kids this year. Seriously, all the Spanish House residents are really really really nice kids, the enthusiastic kind whose faces light up whenever we plan a new event or mention the possibility of cooking a traditional Latin American dish. These kids are soooo good that they can take coming in 3rd place in our volleyball tournament and still be happy and peppy even as their Native Speaker fumes in anguish by the corner. (oh wait! Not all of them. I have one bad apple who brings balance to things too!)

2. The Trip: Well, it looks like it won’t be happening again for Spanish House. But rather than engage in a venomous rant, I hereby state my commitment to taking my house SOMEWHERE this year. Come back in a month to see where… could be fun!

3. The Atmosphere: Oh man, the atmosphere this year is so different from last year that it’s hard to say whether it’s better or worse. Actually, it’s pretty good. I think all of my residents know each other by know (except for the bad apple!) and they are all really really friendly. It’s a good atmosphere at dinner, very funny people in the House this year.

Yeah, that’s as much as I want to say for now. Come knock on my door!

Hector, Spanish House Level-2-Native Speaker

No comments: